Every patient has unique needs and may not benefit from a “one-size fits all” approach to prescribing and delivering medicine. A compound pharmacist mixes drugs to achieve the correct dosage, strength, form, formulation, and even flavor for a customized pharmaceutical drug that is uniquely your own. You can think of prescription compounding as designer medications. Your unique needs are carefully met when we compound your medications.
- Dosage Form – Not responding to the medication prescribed? Experiencing adverse effects? You may need a change in dosage form. We can work with you and your doctor to compound the needed drug(s) into alternative dosage forms, such as transdermal gels, topical sprays, suppositories, troches, or lozenges.
- Combination Preparations – We can combine compatible drugs into a single dosage form to simplify a medication administration schedule. This will make it easier on you, and improve your ability to comply with your prescriptions.
- “Unavailable” Medications – When a medication is out of stock or temporarily unavailable, we can usually obtain the needed drug as a bulk powder and compound a similar preparation.
- Flavoring – If you or your child hates taking medication because of the taste, we can flavor each medication to please any palate, and eliminate aftertastes.
- Elimination of Problem-Causing Excipients – Suffering adverse or allergic reactions to your medication? We can formulate medications to eliminate unnecessary dyes, sugar, gluten, lactose, alcohol, and preservatives.
- Prescriber-Specific Formulations – Often, prescribers develop unique formulations that meet specific needs of their patient population, or acquire “tried and true” formulas during their medical training. We commonly prepare these customized medications.